The anchor came up easily and it and the chain were clean. The windless deposited it into the chain locker without a hitch. We quietly maneuvered out of the bay at 0720 and headed back toward Georgian Bay. The wind was a little stronger than it had been yesterday and it was still on our beam so the open portion of the trip would not be comfortable but today only about a third of our trip would be open water. The rest was maneuvering through a myriad of channels between countless islands.
Just a couple of miles short of Big Sound Marina, our goal for the day, is a swing bridge. It has low enough clearance that Sea To See could not make it under even if I hadn’t put the mast back up at Port Severn. We would have to wait till it opened. This bridge opens as needed but only on the hour. We missed the opening by about 10 minutes so had to wait 50 more minutes till the next opening.
After Sea To See was moored at the marina we were walking up to register when we found that Bill and Anne Griffin from Rock Me Baby were here. We hadn’t seen them since Atlantic City, New Jersey. Two other looper boats were also in the marina including “Frydaze”.
We walked into town and explored for a while, shopped for a few food items and then stopped for some ice cream cones. We had discovered Kawartha Ice Cream back at Bobcaygeon and it is delicious. It was fairly warm but there was a strong wind blowing by now so it was comfortable.
Vicki went to the marina office and ordered pizza to be delivered to the boat. This was a first but it was a great idea giving her a break from making dinner aboard. We worked on logs, email, etc. and the evening passed quickly.
With a decent wifi signal we were able to more fully research the weather forecast for this area. We had been listening to the weather report on vhf radio and it didn’t sound like Vicki water was likely any time in the next couple of days. Listening to vhf weather reports in Canada requires patience as the entire broadcast is in French and then English. If you happen to start listening at the beginning of the French portion it is about 10 minutes before the English portion starts.
This on line research showed the report to be accurate as winds were forcaste for up to 50 kilometers per hour from the west which would make the Georgian Bay portions pretty nasty. Unfortunately, the next two days would have the majority of our travel in Georgian Bay so we are seriously contemplating holing up here at Big Channel Marina till Thursday.