April 3, 2016 – Sunday – Fernandina Beach Marina – No Travel

Planning the day before had caused us to decide to get underway by 0800. Local knowledge is good though so when turning in the shower key we asked the dock master about the territory we were going to traverse today. He said the channel behind Jekyll Island was very shallow and best traversed when the tide was at least half way up. Our 0800 departure would have put us there at low tide. We decided to hang around until noon to leave that should still allow us to arrive at our next destination by 1800 hours with plenty of time before sunset.

While hanging around we talked to others with local knowledge and before long had become convinced that postponing our departure until tomorrow at noon was prudent. By this time the wind was once again in that 15-25 mph condition even though this was not the forecast. The boat was bouncing again and we decided that was better than trying to cross St. Andrews Sound with the wind up and current high.

Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: